Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rice cereal and sleeping through the night!!

Read below for updates!



Watching his Zoo in the bumbo!
Kinda sitting up!



uh-oh!


Wrigs new ways! This is ALL his does!
Pouting Mac!
Love this cereal!

Wait...maybe not!

Ahhhh...teething ring!


Forgot to mention I went to Branson with my family...sweet Amelia Brooke

Meredith, Amelia and me

Yes..it has been a big week in our house. Samuel has finally started sleeping through the night!!! Yea, Yippee, Praise the Lord!!! He is consistently sleeping between 10-11 hours at night..and last night was the first night that he didn't even wake up for Paci replacement...what a big boy! I'm so proud of him...however..we have to give credit to Richard Ferber and Dr. Dreiling. We had his 4 month check up last week and we were given the "thumbs up" the start the Ferber Method for sleeping through the night. Let me just say...not easy! Samuel was still getting two bottles in the middle of the night(one at 12 and one at 4) and I knew that it would be hard for this momma to cut that out cold turkey...not to mention hard for Samuel! Ha! I honestly think I needed to be "Ferberized." I had gotten completely used to getting up and seeing my little precious in the middle of the night. So, after his appointment we decided to decrease the amount of food he got at each of those two feedings and wean him over 5 days. When he finally got down to 3 ounces at each feeding, I felt comfortable completely cutting it out.
Night 1-cried for 30 minutes at 12 and cried for an hour at 330
Night 2-cried for 10 minutes at 12 and cried for 30 mins at 3
Night 3-can't remember

Night 4-can't remember..but definitely worse than night 3
Night 5-slept solid from 730pm to 530am..took a bottle and back to sleep till 8
Needless to say, this was by far the hardest thing that I have had to do since he was born. There is nothing worse than listening to your little boy cry. However, I am SO GLAD that we did it! Samuel is more rested now, staying awake more during the day, and mommy and daddy have well rested faces!!

Another first for this week...rice cereal! I was going to wait until 6 months but Samuel has started acting like he wants more food so I decided to go ahead with it. He did great the first time! He didn't spit any of it out and took about 5 bites. The past two days haven't been so great. He takes about two bites and decides he is done. I'm resisting the urge to add some mashed bananas because I don't want him to get the sweet tooth too early and not like his veggies. We will just keep working on it once a day for now. This is probably why the docs recommend 6 months..they are probably more ready for it at that point!! Anyway, enjoy the week of pics!!

1 comment:

Cortney said...

Oh my, Ashley, he is such a cutie pie! My little Ridge JUST started sleeping through the night too, and boy howdy, it makes such a difference in my "mommying"!!!